Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Twig Project

There were many issues discussed in class on the various twig projects that my class has been working on. The issues that most factored into my project was variety reduction : focusing on one aspect of my project or one idea instead of meshing a bunch of ideas together. My idea was a play on the juxtaposition between the straightness of my twigs and the curliness of my structure. This point was almost clear but not clear enough. Tommy suggested that instead of having the twigs fan out in the cone shape i had created in the center of the structure, that i should make the cone into a cylinder and have the twigs protruding out on both side, giving it and even straighter look. The idea of the twigs fanning out instead of the being straight, each twig parallel to the next, is more of a contrast the the curving and swirling shapes that my structure creates.
Another issue that was mentioned about my project was the craft. The fact that i had created this "complex looking" structure out of only one paper makes the craftsmanship seem better rather than me making something out of many pieces of paper and just taping them together. There is still some craft that i think i can improve on. The structure stands up by its curves but i don't think it's standing up as much as it should be so i have to find a way to manipulate it to stand more upright.This critique was very helpful because we got to talk about each project intimately and hear other people's views on how to make something that is already good, magical.

No comments: